Wednesday, June 11, 2008

News of the Weirdos!



I'm not sure how I find this stuff, too much time on my hands while I watch FoxNews and surf the internet. I stumbled on this guy, some of you may have heard of him, but he's got to be a certified wacko. He states that Al Jazerra wants to interview him to "hear" why he supports Barack Obama and he's excited about it. Do you think when Al Jazeera contacted him that Dr. Watkins "felt a thrill going up his leg?" Oh and please don't miss the part where he states that he follows the wisdom of Louis Farrakhan! Oh brother! Dr. Boyce Watkins' website can be found here. His blog can be found here. Here's the blog that caught my attention. He apparently doesn't realize that America is suppose to be capitalized! Duh! Tell me what you think of this joker. You can't make this stuff up people! VN8



Barack Obama: First Black President - What does that mean for black america?

The Al Jazeera network wants to get my perspective on what it means for our country to have its first black president. While I am going to vote for Senator Obama, I do not consider a first black president to be the saving grace for the rest of black america. In some ways, there is a tradeoff, given that having a black president will alleviate many Americans of their personal responsibility to help our nation overcome the after effects of hundreds of years of slavery and oppression. The easiest way to make people think that racism doesn't exist is to have a leader with a black face. But that is like saying that a Jewish president implies that the Nazi Holocaust never happened. The only difference is that the black holocaust lasted for hundreds of years.

I consider my Al Jazeera appearances to be more significant and interesting for a few reasons: 1) the audience is much larger than that of CNN, since the network covers much of the world, 2) many people around the world are watching this election closely, 3) I feel humbled by having the chance to represent the perspectives of black men in the United States. It has always been an honor to represent black men to the media, and it is an honor I take very seriously. The support of my people and obligation to my ancestors (many of whom died horrible deaths during slavery) to fulfill this obligation with honor, honesty, decency and courage.

At any rate, I want to hear what you think on this issue. I applaud Obama's achievements, and I am hopeful that he will serve as a source of inspiration for millions of black youth. I am not so happy about all the denunciations that he has had to endure, but I have let the wisdom of Louis Farrakhan guide me in my understanding of Obama's action.

But I want to hear what you think. Please tell me: What will it mean for the image of black men around the world if our country elects a black president? What does it mean for America?

2 comments:

Sue said...

Ok, I read and watched a video or two. He may be the "peoples' scholar", but he said some pretty dumb things. Like "It takes as much intelligence to survive in prison as to attend Harvard". Um...no...I don't think so.
And nowhere did I hear him refer to that building block of success in life: individual responsibility. His time would be better spent if he'd direct his anger at all those baby daddies who desert their children and parents who don't parent.

VoteNovember2008 said...

I wish you could use sound on these comments, I think I just heard cheers from the angels in heaven.

EXACTLY, Sue, he's an idiot! I call those type of people "pot stirrers", the likes of Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and the like. We have a guy here locally that is stirring up the feces too.

Personal responsibility is the lynch pin to just about anything. I'd love to see him and Bill Cosby debate what each of them think the real problems are. Marvin Arrington, who is black and a local Superior Court judge, you may want to google his name, has been in the fire recently for talking young black men in his courtroom and telling them exactly like it is.

I have no idea how I find these crazy people, but nevertheless they are out there and it makes you wonder how many there are! VN8