Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Vetting the Vetters!


At a press conference in St. Louis, Obama defends his choice of Jim Johnson to lead his vetting team, calling reports into Johnson's ties to the mortgage company Countrywide "a game."

"Johnson has a very discrete task," he said, dismissing the notion that he'd "hire vetters to vet the vetters."

The fact that his staff made similar tactical attacks on Clinton, on very similar issues (actually, nobody on in Clinton's orbit was ever accused of getting a special deal from Countrywide) makes it harder for Obama to take cover on the high road here.

UPDATE: For instance, David Plouffe in March critized Clinton for taking contributions from Countrywide lobbyists.

'If we're really going to crack down on the practices that caused the credit and housing crises, we're going to need a leader who doesn't owe these industries any favors," he said.

Full transcript after the jump.

SEN. BARACK OBAMA: I am not vetting my VP Search Committee for their mortgages. You’re going to have to direct – it becomes sort of a – this is a game that can be played – everybody, who is tangentially related to our campaign, I think, is going to have a whole host of relationships. I would have to hire the vetter to vet the vetters. I mean at some point, we just asked people to do their assignments. Jim Johnson has a very discrete task, as does Eric Holder, and that is simply to gather up information about potential vice presidential candidates. They’re performing that job well. It’s a volunteer, unpaid position. And they’re giving me information, and I will then exercise judgment in terms of who I want to select as a vice presidential candidate. So these aren’t folks who are working for me, they’re not people who I have assigned to a particular job in a future administration. And ultimately, my assumption is that this is a discrete task that they are going to be performing for me over the next two months.

Ben Smith

5 comments:

Unknown said...

VN8, I'm so, so very surprised (not) to learn the Dems have ties to those shady special interests! Limbaugh is all over Obama's comments on this - "I'm not vetting the vetters" and "they don't work for me." Again, let's ask the question "WIARHSI - what if a Republican had said it?"
And like in Bristol, move Obama from the teleprompter and he makes W seem downright eloquent!

Jim said...

Better to have said "I'm not vetting the vetters" than to have said something politically dumb like John McCain did this morning. Democrats will play that over and over until November, showing that he doesn't care when troops come home from Iraq.

Q: If it’s working, senator, do you now have a better estimate of when American forces can come home from Iraq?

McCAIN: No, but that’s not too important. What’s important is the casualties in Iraq. Americans are in South Korea. Americans are in Japan. American troops are in Germany. That’s all fine.

Even if you agree with everything he said, it was still a stupid thing to say politically.

Unknown said...

Jim, you're avoiding the point. Obama's connections, gaffes, etc. just don't get the media play given to Republicans. He is being coddled, big time.
For the record, it would be good to downsize our forces in Iraq and eventually we will. Yes, you're right, the media will probably beat McCain over the head. He must carefully weigh each word. Obama doesn't have to.

Jim said...

Well Jim Johnson has stepped down so there's no need to vet the vetter now. I only wish the media was as biased as you perceive it, we wouldn't have had Bush for 8 years. LOL

VoteNovember2008 said...

Well, it looks like you guys held down the fort while I was out paying taxes to support the "less" fortunate! I had not heard about McCain, I've been a little busy today. I'm sure I'll catch it on the talking heads tonight. Lee, I'll post the blogs, you keep doing a great job! Jim, it's true, the media handles Obamamessiah with kid gloves and you know that is true. :) VN8