Monday, July 14, 2008

Joe Lieberman: I'm Not a Candidate for VP




Sen. Joseph Lieberman says he has no desire to be the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee, holding fast to a position he's held for months.

"As regards the vice presidency, I really have been there and done that," Lieberman told ABC News. "I am not a candidate. I am not interested in doing it. I hope John [McCain] is elected president. I'm going to work hard to do that. And I think the best thing I can do to help him be the great president I think he's capable of being is to be Democratic senator working across party lines to get things done."

Sen. Joseph Lieberman says he has no desire to be the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee, holding fast to a position he's held for months.

"As regards the vice presidency, I really have been there and done that," Lieberman told ABC News. "I am not a candidate. I am not interested in doing it. I hope John [McCain] is elected president. I'm going to work hard to do that. And I think the best thing I can do to help him be the great president I think he's capable of being is to be Democratic senator working across party lines to get things done."

Lieberman, who was Al Gore's running mate in 2000, was re-elected in 2006 as an independent to his fourth term after failing to win the Democratic nomination. He caucuses with the Democrats in the Senate. However, he has endorsed McCain's candidacy, and has often been mentioned by the media as a possible running mate.

Lieberman told ABC that even if McCain asks him outright, he won't join the GOP ticket.

"It's not going to happen. But I'd tell him, 'You honor me by this request to your friend but you can do a lot better, so thank you.'"

For months, Lieberman has has maintained that he has no interest in running for vice president again. In January, he told The Associated Press:

"I'd tell him, 'Thanks, John, I've been there, I've done that. You can find much better.' I'm not seeking anything else."

He also said he had "no intention of leaving the Democratic Party," but added that he'd be open to attending the Republican convention to witness McCain's official nomination. "I'd probably be more welcome there," he told the AP.

(Lord help me! I'm still trying to decipher all of this! VN8)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that's a relief! Given McCain's penchant for "reaching across the aisle", I feared he might entertain the idea of Lieberman which would be an unforgivable slap in the face to the party (and I like Lieberman OK, at least he has his eyes open regarding our enemies). Romney is the best pick. He's conservative, folks like him, he has name recognition, and is a viable candidate in 2012.

Jim said...

Poor old Joe. Nobody wants him. Republicans don't really want him and Democrats would like to give him the boot and actually did in his home state. He's Mr. Independent and a man without a party.

Unknown said...

True, his own party has disowned him, but the folks in Connecticut still love him...much more so than Ned Lamont. That had to be a real blow to the nutroots, especially Kos.
It's funny that Lieberman has attracted nothing but scorn from the media for his departure from Democratic dogma on Iraq when he has otherwise been a faithful liberal, right down the line. They just love McCain when he steps into his maverick role. Funny how they view these things, but I'm sure it can't be a liberal bias. Right?

Jim said...

He wouldn't get re-elected today. His numbers are way down back home.

Unknown said...

Think so? You may be right in that Lieberman had strong Republican support, but numbers are always down until a choice is presented between an incumbent and a challenger. W wasn't doing well in the polls until he was compared to Kerry. Neither was Ronald Reagan until he was running against the hapless Walter Mondale.

Out of curiosity, what is it about Lieberman, who is a heck of nice guy and a died in the wool liberal, that other liberals don't like? Is it all about Iraq? Or was it that he had the temerity to challenge the party as an independent?

Unknown said...

I meant to write he is a "dyed" in the wool liberal. It's my Alabama edjamenkashun coming through again!

Anonymous said...

Lieberman is a weird politician in my opinion. I mean, he sided with Al Gore and supported the war in Iraq, and now he was supposed to be a possible running mate for senator McCain. Well, I supported Mike Huckabee for the nomination, and I admit if wouldn't be bad if he were the VP, after all, McCain is kinda liberal on some issues, and Huck could be a valuable balance from a conservative point of view! ;)

VoteNovember2008 said...

S&SP, I agree, Senator Lieberman is a man without a party! But one thing is for sure, he follows his conscience. I supported Mitt Romney and I believe that Senator McCain needs to pick a running mate that is going to stir the nations spirit! Let's just hope Senator McCain chooses wisely! Thanks for stopping by, it's always my pleasure! VN8