Friday, May 23, 2008

Atlas Shrugged




I've had this book recommended to me for a while now and I'm planning on starting it on vacation. Maybe some of you may have already read this novel. I find the books subject matter to be relevant at this time even though it is fiction because I believe we are on a precipice.

The theory of the "looters" and "moochers" within the book are fascinating to me. Apparently the "looters" (government officials) confiscate the earnings of others "at the point of a gun". The "moochers" claim the earnings of others because they are needy and unable to earn for themselves.

Sound familiar? What would happen if the leaders and innovators of the world stopped carrying civilization on its shoulders? Thoughts to ponder.

Redistribution of wealth does not work, it will collapse society as we know it.

When researching the topic of "redistribution of wealth" I located the following:

Unnoticed by most Americans this week, the Obama/Hagel GLOBAL POVERTY ACT was quickly approved by a senate committee and cleared for the next step, debate in a democrat-controlled senate.

The GLOBAL POVERTY ACT is unique in its breathtaking scope. It is not foreign-aid. The Act will require the President and Congress to set aside .07% of the annual gross national product - our GNP - to be distributed around the globe to relieve poverty at a cost of about $800 billion dollars annually to taxpayers. It is Barack Obama’s response to the call of the Bali Global Warming Conference for a global carbon tax; a blatant redistribution of the planet’s wealth to the “powerless”.

Coupled with his riveting stump speeches which generate huge emotional reactions from his equally huge audiences - speeches which literally call for a redistribution of wealth right here at home as well - Barack Obama’s sponsorship of the GLOBAL POVERTY ACT gives us a chilling preview of an Obama presidency.


Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas cites Atlas Shrugged among his favorite novels.

(I welcome your thoughts. VN8)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is one I've always intended to read. For the past several years it seems that I've been reading non-fiction exclusively so perhaps this will be a good time to buy a copy of Atlas Shrugged. Rand was certainly a unique character.

VoteNovember2008 said...

I think avant-garde may describe her best! I'm pretty much a nonfiction reader myself, but when I go on vacation I try to get away from the politics and philosopy! HA HA HA And that's kind of what this book is about, but I think i can enjoy it nonetheless! It was Atlas Shrugged or Liberal Facism by Jonah Goldberg and I just couldn't bring myself to read about politics, I can keep up with politics on my CrackBerry, I mean BlackBerry. I'll give you an update!

PS Stay tuned for my Memorial Day posts, there will be two.