Thursday, May 22, 2008

McCain rejects controversial pastor's endorsement




In a statement to CNN on Thursday, McCain said "Obviously, I find these remarks and others deeply offensive and indefensible, and I repudiate them. I did not know of them before Rev. Hagee's endorsement, and I feel I must reject his endorsement as well."

McCain also said that his relationship with Hagee did not compare with Sen. Barack Obama's lengthy association with the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, whose own inflammatory comments remain, for some Republicans, a persistent campaign issue even though Obama has denounced his former minister.

"I have said I do not believe Sen. Obama shares Rev. Wright's extreme views. But let me also be clear, Rev. Hagee was not and is not my pastor or spiritual adviser, and I did not attend his church for 20 years. I have denounced statements he made immediately upon learning of them, as I do again today," McCain said.

The Arizona senator had renounced comments from Hagee that termed the Catholic Church "the great whore" and "an apostate church."

(End of that topic, next. VN8)

5 comments:

Jim said...

I think it was smart for McCain to reject Hagee's endorsement and put that distraction to rest. Now as for the "next", CCTT will dig into his bag of tricks and scandals and find something juicy! LOL

Unknown said...

You lost me. Who is CCTT?

VoteNovember2008 said...

That would be "country comes to town"! LOL

Unknown said...

I shoulda known! thanks.

VoteNovember2008 said...

Lee, at my age it amazes me that I can remember anything! I've been told it gets worse and I am at the point that I just laugh at myself! You two throw me curve balls from time to time and I sit here and figure it out! LOL Have a safe Memorial Day weekend! VN8